Literacy and Numeracy
We aim to ensure that all pupils have the basic skills necessary for success and put Reading and Numeracy at the heart of our curriculum. At Polam we employ a variety of strategies to improve the literacy and numeracy of all our pupils and use targeted interventions to support those who fall behind in these areas. Just some of these strategies can be seen below:
- Spelling Shed used across Junior School.
- Mrs Wordsmith used across Junior School.
- Common ‘Marking for Literacy’ codes.
- Accelerated Reader for all Year 7 and 8 pupils and identified Year 9 pupils whose reading needs support.
- Bedrock Vocabulary used to develop the vocabulary of all Year 7 and Year 8 pupils.
- KIRFs (Key Instant Recall Facts) for all Junior School pupils.
- Number Blocks for pupils in Reception and Year 1
- Nifty Fifty for pupils in Years 3 and 4
- Numeracy Ninjas for pupils in Years 5 - 9
- Times Tables Rock Stars for all Year 7 and Year 8 pupils
- Maths Passports for Year 10 and 11 students