Literacy and Numeracy
We aim to ensure that all pupils have the basic skills necessary for success and put Reading and Numeracy at the heart of our curriculum. At Polam we employ a variety of strategies to improve the literacy and numeracy of all our pupils and use targeted interventions to support those who fall behind in these areas. Just some of these strategies can be seen below:
- Spelling Shed used across Junior School.
- Mrs Wordsmith used across Junior School.
- Common ‘Marking for Literacy’ codes.
- Accelerated Reader for all Year 7 pupils and Y8/9 pupils whose reading needs support.
- KIRFs (Key Instant Recall Facts) for all Junior School pupils.
- Numeracy Ninjas for KS3 pupils
- Times Tables Rock Stars for all Year 7 and Year 8 pupils